Monday, March 30, 2015

Review of The Misshapes: The Coming Storm by Alex Flynn



Advance Review of Alex Flynn's The Misshapes: The Coming Storm
Release Date: October 7th, 2015


Synopsis as found on GoodReads.com:


Some people have powers.
Some people do not.
And some people may just change the world.
Sarah Robertson is one of those people.

Sarah Robertson is no ordinary girl — she can control the weather with her emotions. But in a town where superheroes walk the streets, her powers aren’t enough for the prestigious Hero Academy. Instead of being accepted to the school of her dreams, Sarah is marked as an outcast with power — a Misshape.

Now she’s stuck with a group of fellow Misshapes, her dreams on hold. Yet has an intriguing (and smoking hot) new mentor, and an unexpected romance blooms with superstar Hero dreamboat Freedom Boy. And when Doolittle Falls comes under threat of annihilation, Sarah will learn just how powerful she is when she’s forced to choose between her friends and the destiny she’s always wanted. And she may just kick some supervillain butt in the process.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Maybe I am drawn to books about rag tag Superheroes since I don't read comic books any more, but this is the 3rd I have read this year... plus I read another at the end of the year last year. I was hoping to say that this one was as good as the others, but if I put them side by side, Misshapes would not be my first choice.


Misshapes are people with powers that are deemed useless to their peers. With that idea in mind, the book sounds like it has great potential. It is definitely different from the others I've read in that sense. Sadly, the dialogue in the book was often monotone and uncharacteristic for teenage characters. While I liked the overall idea of the story, I was often able to guess what would happen next. And sometimes I enjoy being able to do that, but with the entire book being predictable, it took a lot of the fun out of reading.


If you are looking for a really great book about superheroes, here are a couple that I actually really liked:


Powerless by Tera Lynn Childs & Tracy Deebs
School for Sidekicks by Kelly McCullough

No comments:

Post a Comment