Monday, March 2, 2015

Review of Blackbird by Anna Carey


Review of Anna Carey's Blackbird
Release Date: September 16th, 2014


Synopsis as found on GoodReads.com:


This twisty, breathless cat-and-mouse thrill ride, told in the second person, follows a girl with amnesia in present-day Los Angeles who is being pursued by mysterious and terrifying assailants.

A girl wakes up on the train tracks, a subway car barreling down on her. With only minutes to react, she hunches down and the train speeds over her. She doesn’t remember her name, where she is, or how she got there. She has a tattoo on the inside of her right wrist of a blackbird inside a box, letters and numbers printed just below: FNV02198. There is only one thing she knows for sure: people are trying to kill her.

On the run for her life, she tries to untangle who she is and what happened to the girl she used to be. Nothing and no one are what they appear to be. But the truth is more disturbing than she ever imagined.

The Maze Runner series meets Code Name Verity, Blackbird is relentless and action-packed, filled with surprising twists.



Synopsis as found on Amazon.com:


From the author of the Eve trilogy comes the breathless story of a girl racing to figure out who she is—and how to stay alive. When a nameless girl wakes up on the subway tracks, she knows only one thing for sure: people want her dead. Can she find them before they track her down? This pulse-pounding contemporary thriller is perfect for fans of The Maze Runner, The Darkest Minds, and Legend.
Things I Know Are True:
  • I am in Los Angeles
  • I woke up on the train tracks at the Vermont/Sunset station
  • I am a teenage girl
  • I have long black hair
  • I have a bird tattoo on the inside of my right wrist with the letters and numbers FNV02198
  • People are trying to kill me


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Told through the eyes of girl on the run... a girl being hunted... a girl with amnesia. Even though she doesn't know who she is, she knows that she has no one she can run to. She calls herself Sunny, because she doesn't even know her name, with only the dirty torn up clothes off her back and the backpack that has a thousand dollars within it, she begins her journey to find out what happened to her.


When the story begins, she finds herself laying across the tracks of a subway. There is a notepad in her bag that lists a number and says "Don't go to the police!" Thus begins her run. It seems like the entire book she is running away from something or someone. While trying to clean herself up in the bathroom of a Supermarket, Sunny runs into a boy, Ben, who offers to help her. He sees the cut across her arm and disheveled appearance and gives her his number in case she needs anything.


Through a twisted turn of events, Sunny ends up wanted for robbery. So the only people who might be able to help her are now searching for her. On top of that, there are people following her. The same man keeps popping up everywhere she is. She feels trapped with no one to turn to. Her story sounds crazy, but she calls Ben, and luckily he believes her and is willing to help.


This story is nothing like Carey's first series, Eve, which was about a girl in a dystopian wasteland. Although it is different than the books I normally read, I gave it a chance because I was such a huge fan of her other books. I am happy I gave it that chance, because it was rather captivating. I love a fast paced book. I am normally not a fan of endings that leave you disbelieving what really happened, but seeing as how I never saw it coming, I am happy with it. Lately I have read some books that I could guess the ending from the beginning of the story, so I happy this is not one of them.


I definitely recommend this book to all the Teen Thriller/Suspense readers. I have the ARC for the sequel, which I will be reading later this week or next week... so look out for my review on Deadfall soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment