Friday, February 20, 2015

Review of The Blackcoat Rebellion: Pawn by Aimee Carter




Review of Aimee Carter's The Blackcoat Rebellion: Pawn
Release Date: November 23rd, 2013

Synopsis as found on Amazon.com:



YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING.

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Excerpt from Pawn:



I'd seen the posters and heard the speeches. Everyone had. We all had our rightful place in society, and it was up to us to decide what that was. Study hard, earn good grades, learn everything we could, and prove we were special. And when we turned seventeen and took the test, we would be rewarded with a good job, a nice place to live, and the satisfaction that we contributed to our society - everything we would ever need to lead a meaningful life.

That was all I'd ever wanted: to prove myself, to prove that I was better than the Extra I really was. To prove I deserved to exist even though I was a second child. To prove the government hadn't made a mistake not sending me Elsewhere.

Now my chance was over, and I hadn't even earned an average IV. Instead of living the meaningful life I'd been promised since before I could remember, I'd managed a III. There was nothing special about me - I was just another Extra who should never have been born in the first place.

I was a waste.



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------



A great new series from the author of the Goddess Test.

I don't care how many dystopian novels are released, I will always flock to them like a child to candy. I am a huge fan of the genre. I picked this book up a while ago (a year ago, actually), but I get new books every week and am ALWAYS behind in reading no matter how many books I finish a week. It was put on the back burner like so many incredible books. After taking time this week to actually pick it up and read it, I have to say, I wish I had read it sooner. I LOVED it!!


Aimee Carter has crafted a believable world, bringing to mind The Hunger Games or The Jewel, with a casted based system consisting of numbers that are given to 17 year olds after they take a general education test. The public is under the belief that everyone is equal until tested and everyone gets the same fair chance at receiving the opportunity to become something great. Unfortunately, we all know that in most cases, the rich are getting richer, while the poor only stay poor.


For Kitty Doe, an orphan who has grown up in a group home, no amount of studying is enough. No matter how hard she tries, she can not learn to read, and when tested, she receives a III. A IV is all she wanted. She didn't dream big, she just wanted an average life. Now she is being sent away to become a sewer cleaner in a city far away, leaving behind the only "family" she has ever known.


Instead, she decides to leave it all behind and run away to a "club." The clubs are where girls go to make money and rich men go to pay for their companionship. When she is sold in an auction for her first night, it isn't just a senator or celebrity who pays for her company, but the Prime Minister of America, Daxton Hart. He offers her the chance of a lifetime. Leave the club with him, no questions asked, and become a VII, or stay a III forever. He doesn't tell her any more than that. Without much time passing, she chooses to become a VII.

This book was a fresh take on a world similar to some I have read before. There is oppression, cruelty, mystery, death, a strong female character, and the knowledge that at any moment, a character I have grown to love could be killed off. If that isn't suspense, I don't know what is!

Make sure to check out Pawn, and it's sequel, Captive, which was released in November of 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment