Monday, June 23, 2014

Review of The Halcyon Bird by Kat Beyer

Advance Review for Kat Beyer's The Halcyon Bird
Release Date: November 11th, 2014

Synopsis as found on GoodReads.com:

For fans of Lauren Kate and Cassandra Clare, a romance with a paranormal streak.

Mia has settled into her life with the Della Torres -- Milan's premier demon-catching family, accompanying them to exorcisms and even learning some way to be useful in the family trade. Then Bernardo comes into her life, handsome, well-mannered, someone who makes her forget her impossible crush on Emilio, her cousin. But always lurking in the background is the demon who possessed Mia once before, and who has not given up on possessing her again--this time for good.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this sequel to Kat Beyer's The Demon Catchers of Milan, we pick up almost immediately after the first book ends, with Mia assisting in another exorcism with many members of the family. Mia is still looking for clues into who her demon stalker is, but in this book, she will finally get a love interest (that is not related to her). I found myself captivated by the descriptions of the masculine Italian contractor who catches her eye & opens her heart.

I find that a lot of times, I look for only the good in a book & over look the bad, because I know that for a lot of authors, this is their life's work. Any negative review could be heart wrenching... and I do not want to be THAT person. I will say that I did love this book, maybe not as much as the first book, and I am very excited to see what Kat Beyer has to come. The only negative I have in reading this and her first book is that even though this is set in modern Milan, Italy, I find myself put off by what Mia calls her family's casual racism. Other than those few sentences found throughout both books, I have deeply enjoyed reading about this Milanese Demon Catching Family & am excited for the 3rd installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment